Moving to the UK,OK?

Moving to the UK,OK?
Blog about my experiences about my move to the UK

Friday, 21 November 2014

First things first

Before we go any further I should make the profile of yours truly.
Those of you that pay attention to the migrations in Europe, will for sure know that the profile of the Portuguese emigrant in the later half of the 20th century, was manly of uneducated (only in a academic way) rural population, running form hunger and the troubles of the dictatorship until 1974, and after enjoying the opportunities created by the opening of borders in Europe.


Now, my generation is what the officials call, the highest educated in the history of the country. I have 2 degrees, including one master, intern-ship in one of the most prestigious international organization in the world in my field.Like me, thousands of others.
And still, this is one of the highest rate of young emigration in a long time. Europe is receiving highly trained people for free, and its a phenomenon that doesn't seem to be slowing down. Its not that we don't love our country, its just that we can only survive if we stay behind. And even to survive, most need help from the parents. That is also the reason that people in their 30s have no children, and Portugal has one of the lowers birth rates in Europe.

So, one day last summer, I decided to quit my job and come to the UK.
I liked my job, but like so many others, it wouldn't amount to more than what it had been for the 2 years I did it. So I started applying for vacancies, bought a plane ticket and here I am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment